Friday, June 30, 2006

America To World: We Screwed Up!

I think that the time has come - in fact, it's long overdue - that we, as Americans performed a little mea culpa for the rest of the world. It'll be good for our souls, not to mention international relations. So let's all just take a deep breath and admit it : We screwed up. Big time.

On the eve of Fourth of July weekend, looking back on two-hundred and thirty years of American history, it's easy to see that, as a nation, we've made a mistake or two along the way: Slavery, the administration of James Buchanan, prohibition, Barry Manilow - all readily come to mind. But nowhere - and I mean, NOWHERE - did we err as mightily as we did in November of 2000 - Election Day, to be precise - when we foolishly sent a contemptible, half-witted inside trader by the name of George W. Bush to the oval office - to the White House! Most people learn from their mistakes, right? Not us! No sir! Already the laughingstock of the planet, the world looked on with what can only be described as horrified amusement, wondering if we would repeat our little electoral aberration. On election day, 2004, we cheerfully obliged.

I must say something in our own defence, meager as that defence may be: Bush didn't actually win those elections. We now know the story about how they removed 57,000 African Americans from the list of registered voters in Florida in 2000. WELCOME HOME, JIM CROW! The Village Idiot of Crawford Texas was actually installed by the United States Supreme Court that year. And it is now perfectly clear that the Republicans were able to steal the key battleground states of Ohio and New Mexico in 2004. But in all honesty that's not much of an excuse. George W. Bush is such an incompetent fool, both of those elections should have been landslides for the Democrats. The fact that such a huge percentage of American voters are so rib-ticklingly out of touch with affairs of state that they actually thought that sending this fucking idiot to Washington for eight years was a good idea, shows the deplorable state of our national political dialogue.

I must share in some of that blame. You see, in 2000 I supported Ralph Nader for president. In the spring of that year, I left the democratic party, frustrated that they would nominate Al Gore over the far more qualified (at least I thought so at the time), Bill Bradley. I registered as a Green Party member and never looked back (OK, I take a peek now and then but that's it, I promise). I ran for NY state Senate in 2002, was handily defeated, got bored silly with the Greens and now I am nothing - A man without a party, so to speak. I guess you might call it my very own party of one. It's my party and I'll cry if I want to! You would cry too if it happened to you - Cha! Cha! Cha!

I now realize the error of my ways. In 2000, I should have known that the (much) lesser of two evils is always preferable an option than pure evil. (And please take note: When I use the term, "pure evil", I'm not being facetious. I use it with its absolute theological definition in mind).

So here's my little message to the rest of the planet: Listen, World, we're sorry, OK? On election days 2000 and 2004, we were drunk, alright? It was just one of those silly little accidents of history and we'll never do it again - Scout's honor!

It is now painfully obvious to everyone but the viewers of FOX News what the real agenda of the right-wing is and it's not a pretty picture: Military intimidation across the globe; The destruction of the middle class in this county; The subversion of the constitution....Not a pretty picture at all. We've got to put a stop to this madness and we will, World, we will! We as a nation are starting to wake up to the fact that the damage that this murderous little psychopath and the hideous bastards and bitches (Hi, Condi!) that comprise his administration have done to this planet is so immense, it will never be accurately accessed. It is incalculable.

So give us a little time, World. We'll fix this problem - Cross our hearts and hope to....Cross our hearts, we will! It will take a little time, true, but eventually we'll end this pathetic situation. Another election cycle should do the trick. Here's a vow, World: By the end of the summer of 2007, George W. Bush and Dick Cheney will be impeached, out of power and on their way to federal prison. I promise you that.

Pray for peace.

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY
tomdegan@frontiernet.net

22 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

Don't beat up yourself or the rest of us too much with regards to the 2004 election. We now know that it was stolen and probably in more places than Ohio and New Mexico. We just have not caught up with the other places yet. The fact is that all over the country, exit polls were showing that Bush was loosing and when the final tally came in, he came out on top. This election was manipulated and stolen and my big fear and question is what can we do to prevent this from happening again. This crew that is now in office is the closest thing to Hitler and the Nazi Party that this country has ever seen and they will do anything to remain in power.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you lost that election. I would not want you represnting me.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Anoymous 12:59

Gee! Lotsa balls there "anynomous"! Be ye wary, Troll! I like to piss off the bridge once in a while!

While we're at it, Just which republican do YOU love in New York? The one that plead guilty to a felony today? Or the idiot that rose up in stern retaliation against BICYCLISTS!? Frankly, I'ld love to see Tom in office in the New York Seate! I'ld even vote for him if I didn't live in North Carolina!

This brings us to you! You post contains a grand total of 14 words (One of which you mispelled!) and signifies NOTHING! Just a venemous little missive, concieved in hatred and posted in a lame attempt to produce some sort of negative feedback so you can chortle with your fellow Right-Wing nutjobs over your grand spanking of the Liberals! Well guess what! AAAAANNNNNKKKKK! Falure! You bring no counter to Tom's position, no argument to his policies, no substantive disussion on their merrits, or deficiancies. Just forteen words which mean nothing!mn A post so ridiciulous that it hardly warrants the time I've giveb it! A post that even you, yourself, who posted it considered too trivial to even take credit for by signing your name! Enough said!!!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Anoymous 12:59

Gee! Lotsa balls there "anynomous"! Be ye wary, Troll! I like to piss off the bridge once in a while!

While we're at it, Just which republican do YOU love in New York? The one that plead guilty to a felony today? Or the idiot that rose up in stern retaliation against BICYCLISTS!? Frankly, I'ld love to see Tom in office in the New York Seate! I'ld even vote for him if I didn't live in North Carolina!

This brings us to you! You post contains a grand total of 14 words (One of which you mispelled!) and signifies NOTHING! Just a venemous little missive, concieved in hatred and posted in a lame attempt to produce some sort of negative feedback so you can chortle with your fellow Right-Wing nutjobs over your grand spanking of the Liberals! Well guess what! AAAAANNNNNKKKKK! Falure! You bring no counter to Tom's position, no argument to his policies, no substantive disussion on their merrits, or deficiancies. Just forteen words which mean nothing! A post so ridiciulous that it hardly warrants the time I've giveb it! A post that even you, yourself, who posted it considered too trivial to even take credit for by signing your name! Enough said!!!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Anoymous 12:59

Gee! Lotsa balls there "anynomous"! Be ye wary, Troll! I like to piss off the bridge once in a while!

While we're at it, Just which republican do YOU love in New York? The one that plead guilty to a felony today? Or the idiot that rose up in stern retaliation against BICYCLISTS!? Frankly, I'ld love to see Tom in office in the New York Seate! I'ld even vote for him if I didn't live in North Carolina!

This brings us to you! You post contains a grand total of 14 words (One of which you mispelled!) and signifies NOTHING! Just a venemous little missive, concieved in hatred and posted in a lame attempt to produce some sort of negative feedback so you can chortle with your fellow Right-Wing nutjobs over your grand spanking of the Liberals! Well guess what! AAAAANNNNNKKKKK! Falure! You bring no counter to Tom's position, no argument to his policies, no substantive disussion on their merrits, or deficiancies. Just forteen words which mean nothing! A post so ridiciulous that it hardly warrants the time I've giveb it! A post that even you, yourself, who posted it considered too trivial to even take credit for by signing your name! Enough said!!!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Sydney said...

Oh, now see - I read your title and NATURALLY, I thought it referred to the World Cup ;)~

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger stoney13 said...

Otherbambam,

So much for Spellcheck! im jest anudder brilyant mined, ruint byda publk edukashun sistem!

 
At 1:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post. Welcome to Blogtopia.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Rui Pires said...

I think that just because of some guys who still dare to see, America is still worth the effort. It's good to know that some of you are still fighting for a better world...

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger MJW said...

I second your apology to the world, Tom.

Very well written.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger MJW said...

Wow, by sheer coincidence, I read this article (Britons tire of cruel, vulgar US) right after posting my previous comment. Those are some very high percentages.

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
Just trying to see if I can get this to work!

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, here you go again trying to make us all feel bad about being Americans. I used to feel that way, but since living in other countries for a little while, I came to appreciate this country and my identity as an American. I think Americans are unique in the world in several ways.
First, we are passionate complainers. We tend to stand up for ourselves quite loudly. A couple of little stories illustrates what I mean. In Russia I watched a woman miss a public bus. She could have shouted or ran up and knocked on the passenger door, but she did nothing except stand quietly. A Russian friend with me at the time said there would not be another bus for at least two hours. An American friend told me his similar story, this time taking place in Korea: A bus driver took off as he was approaching the bus. Being 6'4" and longlegged, he ran and jumped up onto the step and held on, shouting for the driver to please let him on. The driver ignored him as he continued to shout and plead. Finally the whole bus was laughing hysterically at the foriegn clown and the driver stopped and let him on with a grin. Maybe this is just a silly little story, but I believe it demonstrates why Americans will never tolerate an openly repressive government.
Secondly, Americans are the most sentimental and generous people on the planet. We give more of our income to help others than any other country's people. Our habit of complaining for ourselves easily turns 180 degrees in the direction of others in need.
Our generosity and concern for the welfare of others goes to an extreme in the case of this war, where sincere, brave young people are willing to give their lives so others can have a shot at freedom. For their sake, please be careful how you criticize this war!I would like to hear reasonable and intelligent reasons (without the expletives and innuendoes) why tis war is illegal and immoral.
As for the mea culpa, I'm sorry, Tom, but my heart's not in it. First of all. I would never try to speak for all other Americans, only myself. Secondly, I know my reasons for voting for George Bush did not include global military intimidation or promoting corruption of any kind. Thirdly, a mea culpa now would be premature, especially regarding the war in Iraq. We've yet to see the effect that it will have on the rest of the Middle East. Maybe repressive governments will topple like dominoes due to pressure from within from couragous people who feel it is the right time to push for a change. Saudia Arabia has instituted local democratic elections for the first time in its ancient history. An event unrelated to Irag? I don't believe so.
I certainly believe mistakes have been made in the way this war has been conducted, but I'm not ready to say the war itself is all a mistake. There are plenty of Afghans and Iraqis who love Americans now for going in, no matter what the initial reason.
Tom, I think you and I agree that both of this country's great parties are in dire need of self improvement. I hope we will have many more discussions about just what it is this country really needs.
Thank you for your passion, your love for this country and for letting me share your blogsite.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

To Fearless Flower:
Thank you so much for your contribution to "the rant". While you and I obviously disagree as to the value of this war, You made your point elequantly and with alot of obvious thought behind it. That is so rare in political dicourse today. Please keep tuning in!
Love and Peace,
Tom Degan

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger L said...

I agree with you on the mea culpa, but we both know it will never happen....

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Frk. Frekkesen said...

Hi Fearless Flower: I`m quite surprised that you are so happy about the passionate complaining. This is not a very charming quality.

It is quite hard for us europeans to understand why the US should hold on to a world-police-role. I trust the United nations to make the right decisions, so should you.

A little humility is fine, Tom. On behalf of the world: Apology accepted. Still - the comparison to the nszis - isn`t that a little far out?

I`m sorry it there are any spelling- og grammarmistakes in my comment, as english is my 3rd language;)

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

Dear Marihona,
With respect to their deeds, of course, comparing the Bush regime to that of Hitler's would be unfair - no doubt about it. But when one looks at Bush's methods, particularly their use (really, misuse) of propaganda, the similarities are real and profound.
All the best,
Tom Degan

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom and Marihona appear to be good-spirited. However, to be fair, Tom cannot represent all Americans but himself, no matter how apologetic he is. By the same token, Marihona cannot present all other people in the world no matter how forgiving she is.
Cheers!

 
At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To fearless flower,

America is a great country and will be, assuming it’s not destroyed by this administration.
It’s relatively a law-based country, unlike some lawless ones, which could make you disappear from the world just because you criticize the government, the king or the president in public. Nevertheless, we just don’t pose our values onto others. Is our called ‘democracy’ really good? We are all human beings. Non-Americans are not less smart. They would eventually figure out how to better their own worlds in their ways even though it may take long to evolve.

A lot of conflicts take place just because I think my ‘value’ is better than yours or I enjoy this and that so you would, too. Do you agree?

Peace!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Frk. Frekkesen said...

Hi anonymous: Don`t tell me what I can and can not do. That`s so damn american;)

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Marihona,

That’s exactly my point. I have no intention to tell you what you can do or not. Americans should just stay out other countries‘ business, not assuming American values are better than those of others. Some people hate US, not because they hate freedom as Bush claims, but the fact that US tries to pose the so called 'freedom' onto others.

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't the original little psycopath---that at one time infamous Iraqi defector who started the whole WMD bruhaha off with his lies to the German BND; and who fooled Hillary, by the way, as well as Bush.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home