Tuesday, January 31, 2017

An Open Letter to the World

Marching on the tower, Michelle Wey quotes Charlie Chaplin
 
Hey there, world!

My goodness! What can I say? A long time ago someone remarked that when the United States sneezes, the rest of the planet catches a cold. Expect yourselves to be bedridden with pneumonia in a matter of months. To say that we inmates of Idiot Nation fucked up in 2016 is the understatement of the millennia. Electing Donald Trump was an electoral error of catastrophic proportions. I should say for the record, however, that (with the exception of the stupid haircut) comparisons to the rise of Hitler eighty-four years ago are way over the top. At least Adolf had good manners.
 
I'm nostalgic for George W. Bush. Somebody shoot me please.

Think about this for a minute, will you? Nearly three months ago, a significant minority of the American people foolishly elected as president a man whose reputation for corruption - not to mention sexual perversion - had preceded him by damned-near four decades. And today we find ourselves forced to contend with the nasty fact that, for the next four years at least, this unhinged sociopath will have his gnarled little fingers on the nuclear codes. What does it tell you about the intelligence of the American people when, in spite of the utter chaos of his first eleven days as chief-executive, a full forty percent of us feel that the hideous bastard is doing a competent job?

Please bear in mind that there are 1449 very long days to muddle through until January 20, 2121.

The latest blow to come crashing down from the trillion dollar shit-hammer occurred late last night when the Donald fired acting Attorney General Sally Yates for refusing to execute the orders that would have banned all those of the Islamic faith from dipping so much as a toe upon our shores. Some of the people seeking asylum acted as translators during the Iraq war - at great risk to their own lives and that of their families. The Trumpsters accused Ms. Yates of "betraying" the Department of Justice. This Monday Night Massacre is only a twisted overture for what promises to be a very bizarre and disjointed opera.
`

Steve Bannon:
White "Supremacist"
`
Trump's choice for chief advisor and strategist is a Hermann Goering wannabe named Steve Bannon. Not only that, Trump wants this bloated buffoon to sit in on meetings of the National Security Council. Bannon is an on-the-record anti-Semite and an avowed believer in white supremacy. His only previous claim to fame was as a contributor the an openly racist website called "Breitbart". On an early-morning news program a couple of hours ago, someone likened this scenario to Barack Obama allowing an editor of BuzzFeed to sit in on National Security meetings. One can only imagine the shit-storm of righteous indignation from the far right that would have predictably ensued had he allowed something that completely weird to occur. Call it a hunch on my part, but I'm relatively certain that it never entered the former president's mind. That was the nice thing about Obama: His judgment was usually fairly sound.

QUESTION: Do you miss him yet? 

What can I tell you, World? This is the way it's gonna be for the next four years - or, at least until he's impeached. There are two problems with that possibility: Trump has left himself virtually immune from impeachment by selecting as his vice-president Mike Pence: a man so completely divorced from reality and common sense that one is seriously tempted to check his pulse for any signs of life. I'm reminded of forty-four years ago. In October of 1973, at the same time that the infamous Saturday Night Massacre was playing out, Dick Nixon's vice-president, Spiro Agnew, was being forced from office because of revelations that had been uncovered exposing his corruption while he had served as governor of Maryland during the sixties. Spiro was such a reactionary old imbecile that no one in his-or-her right mind would have even dreamed of removing Nixon from office. Once Agnew was gone, Nixon's presidency was toast and jelly. Within ten months Nixon was sent packing in disgrace, and Gerald Ford was the president of the United States. It's not too much of a leap to assume that there are similar skeletons dancing in Pence's closet. He is, after all, part of the vast criminal conspiracy known as the Grand Old Party.

The second problem with the impeachment scenario is the hardcore elements of the Tea Party base. These knuckleheads are going to stand by Trump no matter what. It's hard to envision a situation where many GOP politicians would risk their wrath - and the distinct possibility of their starting a third party out of sheer spite. Whatever the case, the next four years promise to be quite interesting indeed.

So there you have it, World. I hope you've been paying attention to the mass outrage that has been exhibited in the last eleven days - particularly by the women of America. This is all the evidence you need that the United States is not without hope (I think). I'm optimistic enough to believe that this tired old planet will eventually be saved, but it's only going to be saved by the women. We men have fucked things up so utterly and completely, that we have no right to ever expect to be taken seriously again. The twenty-first will be remembered as the century of the woman. This is as it should be. Get the heck out of the way, fellas!

....Oh, and carry on, World.

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY

HANDY DANDY QUOTE OF THE DAY:
 
"The airplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in man - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all. Even now, my voice is reaching millions throughout the world - millions of despairing men, women and little children - victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me, I say: "Do not despair". The misery that has come upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish."
 
Charles Chaplin

from The Great Dictator (1940)
 

15 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You've been drinking the post-feminist koolaide and you live too close to NYC. Hitler wasn't smaht or a gentleman. He and his cherman minions killed over 6M people of ALL persuasions. Do you like barbed wire and gas chambers and showerheads not so cleverly disguised that one didn't get the message. Die! Final Solution. To what? Jews and Catholics and Polish people and other gay people? That fact alone keeps me from actually buying a BMW or another Mercedes. Certainly Volkswagen lied, too. Was that another trumpf bidness? Ooops. It was Cherman. My bad. And the mostly women protesters? When they quit their whining and actually DO something then perhaps I'll pay attention. And a woman who should know better told me in no uncertain terms (in her house, no less) that a vote for anyone other than HRC was a vote against her. Is that so? Am I supposed to ignore my own moral scruples and cast my vote for a criminal who represented the old order? Her husband is a crook (always was "... it all depends what your definition of is is..." and so is she. When I get a blowjob at least I'm honest about it. A blowjob is a blowjob. You're giving your readers one, too.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Dave Dubya said...

Bill,
that a vote for anyone other than HRC was a vote against her. Is that so?

If her having to bear the child of her rapist was at stake, then absolutely yes.

If she didn't want tax cuts for billionaires reducing her public health and other services, then yes.

Perhaps that corrupt "old order" would have been less "against her" than Trump's criminal New Order? Maybe?

I too have had enough of the Corporatist Clintons. They have done more to marginalize the Democratic Party than anyone else. But the price for removing them will be unimaginable now.

Is Trump the admitted sex criminal living up to your moral scruples?

A con job is a con job.



 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger woodenman said...

I believe Steve Bannon would benefit from one of those Mansseries that Kramer was trying to sell on Seinfeld.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Majormajor said...

"admitted sex criminal"

Portland activist accused of sex crimes.
Portland police on Monday filed new criminal accusations against an activist involved in organizing recent downtown protests.

Micah Rhodes, 23, faces four felony accusations of second-degree sex abuse.

You mean this guy?

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

No, don't mean "that guy". I mean the president of the United States of America.

Twit.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Majormajor said...

Why Tom, calling names is ok now?

Tell us Tom what are charges have been filed against President Trump for "sex crimes"?

And while you're at it, tell me why liberals want to use extreme vetting on President Trump's nominees but not refugees and immigrates?

Snob.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Ronni said...

So we should be investigating Pence to see if we can get rid of him first. Sounds like a plan.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Jefferson's Guardian said...

Veronica, I can only agree. All meaningful change starts at the grassroots-- from the bottom up. But we'd have to have faith that Biff would be rational in his next selection. Are we ready to take that leap?

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Hudson Valley Wine Folks said...

Hi Tom,

Its been awhile since I have responded to your posts although I do still make it a point to read each one. Admittedly there has been lots of ups and downs in last two weeks and honestly I'm not certain if there has been more ups than downs or not but certainly the counts close. I think we have to give him or any new administration more than two weeks before we declare it a total loss. I have also admitted I voted for Trump out of lack of choice and I remain cautiously optimistic for the future of this presidency. It took me six years before I totally gave up on Obama but I'm not sure I have that much patience left in me. To be fair you have to blame the Democrats and not the Republicans or Trump for this.

Hope all is well with you,

Tom V.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Hudson Valley Wine Folks said...

Hi Tom,

Its been awhile since I have responded to your posts although I do still make it a point to read each one. Admittedly there has been lots of ups and downs in last two weeks and honestly I'm not certain if there has been more ups than downs or not but certainly the counts close. I think we have to give him or any new administration more than two weeks before we declare it a total loss. I have also admitted I voted for Trump out of lack of choice and I remain cautiously optimistic for the future of this presidency. It took me six years before I totally gave up on Obama but I'm not sure I have that much patience left in me. To be fair you have to blame the Democrats and not the Republicans or Trump for this.

Hope all is well with you,

Tom V.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Hudson Valley Wine Folks said...

Hi Tom,

Its been awhile since I have responded to your posts although I do still make it a point to read each one. Admittedly there has been lots of ups and downs in last two weeks and honestly I'm not certain if there has been more ups than downs or not but certainly the counts close. I think we have to give him or any new administration more than two weeks before we declare it a total loss. I have also admitted I voted for Trump out of lack of choice and I remain cautiously optimistic for the future of this presidency. It took me six years before I totally gave up on Obama but I'm not sure I have that much patience left in me. To be fair you have to blame the Democrats and not the Republicans or Trump for this.

Hope all is well with you,

Tom V.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Michael Stivic said...

Tom,

It truly saddens my heart what happened at Berkeley recently where the Free Speech Movement by my brother Mario began.

Mario Savio is rolling over in his grave at the uncivilized animals that became unhinged and tried to burn down buildings at his beloved Berkeley over dissenting opinion.

This uncivilized behavior to dissenting opinion reminds me of 1984.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger MzJay said...

Hello, I'm new the blogging world, so I hope you bare with me...

I am an African American female that is very afraid of what Trump and his administration has in store for the future. He is starting with Muslim's, Mexican's, then next African Americans and women. His ideas, laws, plans are going to have a tremendous impact. As an African American we've already had to fight so hard just to have basic rights, and for this maniac to come in and take us right back is UnAmerican, unfair and just plain sad. So yes I can totaly relate to your Blog. God Bless us all!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger De_Bill said...

What’s easier, trying to go through with a stupid idea that you know probably won’t be legal no matter how hard you try anyway, or do a halfassed job for show, then blame the courts and the dishonest media for the benefit of an audience you know will believe any stupid thing you say?

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

MzJay, you need not fear any unconstitutional excesses that President Trump may try to enact in the future. The progressives and the true conservatives will not allow your fears to come to fruition, ma'am.

Trump's "ban" was against immigrants from seven war-torn unstable areas in the world that are unable or unwilling to provide appropriate documentation to ensure that such immigrants are not a threat to you, me, and other Americans. It was NOT a Muslim ban as has been misreported everywhere in the leftist media. Muslims are still allowed to come here from all of the 53 predominantly Muslim nations other than the seven mentioned. Further, this is a temporary ban until the good folks among them can be properly vetted and admitted.

Americans of all stripes will not allow Trump to roll back constitutional rights for any American. I promise, as a conservative, I will stand with you on this issue!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home